Welcome to the ultimate guide for mastering Linux Operating System! Whether you’re a seasoned IT professional or a curious beginner, this comprehensive collection of Linux OS MCQ is designed to test your knowledge and enhance your understanding.
From the basic concepts to advanced topics, we’ve got you covered with a wide range of questions that will challenge your expertise in this versatile operating system. But this guide is not just about testing your knowledge – it’s also about providing you with detailed answers and explanations, ensuring that you not only learn the correct answers but also understand the reasoning behind them.
So, whether you’re preparing for a job interview, a certification exam, or simply want to expand your Linux knowledge, dive into this MCQ guide, and let’s embark on a journey of Linux mastery together!
72 Important Linux Operating System – Linux OS MCQ
1. A ___ is the central component of an operating system.
2. Linux distributions are Unix-like operating systems usually built on top of Linux kernel. (True/False)
3. ___ is sponsored by Red Hat.
a) Fedora Linux
b) SuSE Linux
c) Lycoris Linux
d) Xandros Linux
Ans. Fedora Linux
4. ___ is the lowest layer of the computer’s software.
Ans. Operating system
5. Device drivers usually interpret the commands, which are then passed on to the operating system for execution. (True/False)
Ans. False. Shells usually interpret the commands, which are then passed on to the operating system for execution.
6. A ___ is a special program that can control a specific type of hardware.
b) Device driver
Ans. b) Device driver
7. The shell has the capability to redirect the input and output and run operation in the background. (True/False)
8. ___ is mainly used as a scripting language rather than an interactive shell.
Ans. B shell
9. ___ is the default shell of FreeBSD.
a) Korn shell
b) Z shell
c) TCSH shell
d) Bourne Again shell
Ans. c) TCSH shell
10. A ___ is a process that starts another process.
Ans. Parent process
11. The ps command produces a report of the processes that run on a Linux system. (True/False)
12. ‘U’ is the command-line argument that displays the user name and process start time. (True/False)
Ans. False. ‘u’ is the command-line argument that displays the user name and process start time.
13. The Linux file structure begins with the ___.
Ans. Root directory ‘/’
14. In Linux, the directory structure follows the Filesystem Hierarchy Structure (FHS). (True/False)
15. ___ directory has system configuration files, network configuration files, application configuration files and other installed software.
16. In Linux, a running program is referred to as a ___.
17. The ‘ps’ command is useful to know the directory you are working in. (True/False)
Ans. False. The ‘Is’ command is useful to know the directory you are working in.
18. ___ is used to pass the output of one command through the input of the subsequent command.
19. The shell is considered as a program that serves as a ___ between the user and the operating system.
20. Name two types of commands present in the bash shell.
Ans. Internal and external commands
21. A run-level is a state of ___ and the ___ that specifies what system services are running.
Ans. init, Whole system
22. The ___ IDs are used to identify users in Linux.
23. Name the init level which represents the shutdown and reboot of the system.
a) 0 b) 3
c) 6 d) 2
Ans. Numeric User
24. The kernel with any odd number is a stable kernel. (True/False)
Ans. False. The kernel with any odd number is a development kernel.
25. Linux kernel is modular in nature and is not a large massive entity. (True/False)
26. The patch files are used to apply a series of edits to a set of ___ files.
27. If a generic kernel is to be downloaded, you can download the source package from the ___.
28. The ___ of GNOME’s user admin tool helps to define the user account settings.
a) Advanced panel
b) User privileges
c) Account properties
d) New user accounts
Ans. Advanced panel
29. The user management tools like GNOME’s users-admin or KDE’s KUser uses some default files called ___ files.
30. The users can use the ___ command to change their passwords by modifying password files.
31. On a Linux system, everything is a process. (True/False)
Ans. False. On a Linux system, everything is a file, if it is not a file it should be a process.
32. To export a file system, one should add correct entry to the ___ file.
33. The tree structure of the Linux file system may vary based on the ___.
a) System user
b) Hardware devices
c) System directories
d) System administrator
Ans. System administrator
34. The ___ permission is granted to the user whose GID is the same as that of the file.
35. The owner permission is granted to the user whose ___ is same as that of the file.
36. In the following sentence, identify the group permissions:
drwxr-x— 2 mayank freeos 4096 Dec 28 04:09 tmp
Ans. b) r-x
37. In Linux, devices are placed in ___ directory.
38. Data on ___ devices is generally transferred in one or more blocks at a time and pre-fetched and cached.
39. In general-purpose OS, device drivers are considered as the programs that independently communicate with applications via some OSspecific protocol. (True/False)
40. Kernel is a collection of different software applications. (True/False)
Ans. False. Linux desktop is a collection of different software applications.
41. Which among the following is a powerful interactive shell that is available under Linux?
Ans. c) zsh
42. ___ is used to accept input from the keyboard and allocate an input value to a user-defined shell variable.
Ans. Read command
43. Bash shell supports path name expansion using the ___ technique.
Ans. Curly brace
44. The variables provided by Bash shell that are prefixed with ‘~’ are called ___.
Ans. Tilde expansions
45. ~+ is used as a shortcut to obtaining the value of the PWD variable which includes the current working directory. (True/False)
46. Which among the following is the command that displays advanced file attributes?
a) lsattr b) mkdir
c) chattr d) lpr
Ans. a) lsattr
47. When either the bash command or the dot (.) command is used to run a script, it is not required to set executable permissions on the script. (True/False)
48. A reserved group of ___ is applied for the names of the system variables.
49. Which among the following is the system variable that indicates the name of the user’s computer?
Ans. b) HOSTNAME
50. When allotting value to a variable, you must put spaces on either side of the equal sign. (True/False)
Ans. False. When allotting value to the variable, do not put spaces on either side of the equal sign.
51. ___ is applied to change the meaning of the characters or to escape special characters within the text like quotation marks.
52. ‘#! /bin/bash’ is known as the ___ line in a shell script.
53. What is the syntax used to set the permissions for the user and the group to read and execute the script ‘script.sh’?
Ans. chmod ug = rx script.sh
54. The VFS enhances the speed and efficiency of access to the files. (True/False)
55. The processes within a system communicate with each other in the absence of network socket semantics using ___.
Ans. Named pipes
56. All the partitions are attached to the system through ___.
a) Mount points b) Directories
c) Links d) File system
Ans. Mount points
57. The main use of a workstation or client installation is for personal use only. (True/False)
58. The ___ command in Linux creates archives for files and directories.
59. In the ___ mode of vi editors, all the keys on the keyboard act as editing commands.
60. To write to a file and then quit the file, ___ command is used.
a) :q b) :wq
c) :r d) :q!
61. The vi editor automatically corrects words which are misspelt. (True/False)
62. In vi editor, ___ command is used to delete one line.
63. ___ is a powerful data manipulation and scripting programming language.
64. awk performs well in comparing both ___ and ___ values.
Ans. String, Numeric
65. A collection of records is known as ___.
b) Database file
Ans. b) Database file
66. awk is a very simple programming language. (True/ False)
Ans. False. awk is a complex programming language.
67. ___ has the ability to filter text in a pipeline.
68. ___ option of the sed command is used to read the sed commands from the sed script file.
69. ___ option is used to suppress the output of the sed command.
70. When –n option is used in sed, the p option of the print flag must be used. (True/False)
71. The two major classes of X client application that should connect to the X server to develop a GUI are ____ and ___.
Ans. Desktop environment, Window manager
72. An alternative desktop environment that is based on the Qt 3 graphical toolkit is ___.
Ans. a) KDE
Participating in the Linux OS MCQ has provided valuable insights into the intricacies of the Linux operating system. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced user, these questions and answers have helped enhance your understanding and knowledge of Linux.
We hope that this quiz has been informative and engaging for you. If you found our MCQs helpful, we encourage you to share them with others on social media platforms. By doing so, you can help spread awareness about Linux and its benefits to a wider audience. Let’s continue exploring the world of Linux together!