Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) is a major public university of India located in Delhi. It achieves the level of Central University. It is located on the banks of the Yamuna in Okhla, the southern region of New Delhi. It was established in 1920 during the British rule. This was made a central university by an Act of Indian Parliament in 1988. Sir Sarwar Jung of Delhi designed the University.
History of Jamia Millia Islamia
Prior to Indian independence, in 1920, a university was established by Muslim leaders and freedom fighters. Chief of founding leaders, Ali Ali Brothers, Muhammad Ali Jawhar and Shaukat Ali were famous.
- Abul Kalam Azad, the nationalist leader of the Indian National Congress, was one of his main early protectors.
- Mohammed Ali Jawhar became the first Vice-Chancellor of Jamia.
- Zakir Hussain took over the university in his troubled times in 1927 and guided it through all the difficulties. After his death, he was buried in the university premises * where his tomb is open to the public.
- Later, Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari became the Vice Chancellor The University’s main auditorium and health centre are named after them.
- Mahmoud al-Hassan
- Abdul Majid Khwaja
- Abid Hussain
- Hakim Ajmal Khan
- Mohammed Mujib, under whose leadership Jamia became a deemed university
In December 1988 Jamia was given the status of Central University by Parliament under the Jamia Millia Islamia Act of 1988 (No. 59 of 1988).
In 2006, Sultan Abdullah bin Al Saud of Saudi Arabia travelled to the University and donated $ 30 million to build the library. Now, that library Dr Zakir Hussein Library (Central Library) is known as.
The campus of Jamia Millia Islamia
The premises have been distributed in a large area. Many of its buildings are being modernized. Greenery and forests are supported. The beautiful cricket ground of the University (known as Bhopal Ground) has hosted Ranjithi Trophy matches and women’s cricket Test match. Besides its seven faculties, Anwar Jamal is the centre of learning and research, such as Kidwai Mass Communication Research Center (MCRC), Engineering and Technology Faculty, Fine Arts Faculty, Theoretical Physics Center and Maulana Mohammad Ali Jawhar Academy in Jamia. There is also Third World Studies (ATWS). Jamia offers undergraduate and postgraduate information and technology courses.
Faculty of Jamia Millia Islamia
Jamia Millia Islamia has nine faculties under which it offers academic and extension programs:
1. Law faculty
This faculty specializes in quality training and education by emerging lawyers through the following programs:
- B.A. LLB (Hons)
2. Faculty of Engineering and Technology
This faculty was established in 1985 with the departments of Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. It has joined the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Department of Applied Science and Humanities (1996) and has six engineering departments: Applied Sciences and Humanities, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communications, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering and a University Polytechnic These departments conduct several projects sponsored by agencies. The faculty offers regular courses and continuous programs.
This faculty has seven departments.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Applied Sciences and Humanities
- Faculty of Architecture and Unity
This faculty has the Department of Architecture and it offers the following programs:
- B. Arch (Regular and self-financing)
- M. Arch
- M. Ecstatics
3. Faculty of Humanities and Languages
The faculty has nine departments offering programs in PhD, M Phil (Pre-PhD), Postgraduate, Bachelor, Diploma and Certificate courses.
- English and Modern European Languages
- tourism and Hospitality
- History and culture
- Turkish language and literature
- French language and literature
4. Faculty of Fine Arts
There are six departments in this faculty who present the program in PhD, Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Diploma and Certificate Course.
- applied Arts
- Art Education
- Graphic art
- Art History and Art Appreciation
- The campus has an art gallery named after Indian painter MF Hussein.
5. Faculty of Social Sciences
This faculty has seven departments.
- Adult and Continuing Education
- political Science
- social work
- Commerce and business studies
The Faculty of Social Science is located around Gulistan-e-Ghalib and it is commonly known as the main campus.
6. Faculty of Natural Sciences
There are eight departments in this faculty:
- computer science
7. Education faculty
This faculty specializes in quality training and education to emerging teachers through two departments:
- Academic study
- Institute of Advanced Study in Education (formerly the Teacher Training Department and Non-Formal Education)
8. Faculty of Dentistry
This faculty specializes in quality training and education to emerging dentists through a five year BDS program.
Centres of Jamia Millia Islamia
1. AJ’s Mass Communication Center
The Mass Communication Research Center was established in 1982 by the then Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia (later Chancellor) Anwar Jamal Kidwai. Jamia is today known primarily as per his site for these public communication courses.
2. Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (CNN)
The mission of this centre is to promote leading basic and practical research in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology, with potential applications to meet national strategic needs. Center’s main research focus includes nano-fabrication and nanotechnology, nanotechnology and nanotechnology, nanotechnology and nanomedicine, nano-structure characteristics and measurements.
3. Management study centre
The Management Studies Center currently offers three programs: PhD. In the management, MBA (full-time) program and MBA (International Business) program.
- PHD. program
- MBA (full-time) program
- MBA (International Business) Program
In addition to these faculties, there are 20 centres of learning and research. Notable among these are MAs in Mass Communication offered by AJK Mass Communication and Research Center:
- An internet facility is available for information technology for FTK-center faculty members, employees, research scholars and students.
- Dr Zakir Hussain Institute of Islamic Studies
- Maulana Mohammad Ali Jawhar Academy of Third World Studies
- Arjun Singh Center for Distance and Open Learning
- Nelson Mandela Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution
- Jawaharlal Nehru Study Center
- Center for the study of comparative religions and civilizations
- West Asiatic Studies Center
- Dr KR Narayanan Center for Dalit and Minority Studies
- Spanish and Latin American Studies Center
- Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Center
- Urdu Academy of Professional Development Academy
- Academic staff college
- Barkat Ali Firak State Resource Center
- Coaching and Career Planning Center
- Culture media and governance centre
- Gandhian Learning Center
- Interdisciplinary Research Center in Basic Sciences
- Center for theoretical physics
- Child guidance centre
- Indo-Arab Cultural Center
- Premchand archives and literary centres of Jamia
- Sarojini Nayak Center for Women’s Studies
- University Counseling & Guidance Center
- Early Childhood Development and Research Center
Schools of Jamia Millia Islamia
Jamia Millia Islamia also provides education from nursery to senior secondary level.
- Child maternity centre
- Gerda Philipsborn Day Care Center
- Mushir Fatma Jamia Nursery School
- Jamia Middle School
- Jamia Senior Secondary School
- Syed Abid Hussain Senior Secondary School
- Jamia Girls Senior Secondary School
Library of Jamia Millia Islamia
Dr Zakir Hussain Library University’s main central library, Dr Zakir Hussein is known as Library, which includes books, microfilms, periodic clauses, manuscripts and rare books, along with a collection of 400,000 artefacts. Some halls are dedicated to them. The library is open to all the powerful students of Jamia. In addition, some faculty and centre libraries have a theme collection.
Rankings of Jamia Millia Islamia
- THE_W_2018 = 801-1000
- THES_0101 = 201-250
- NIRF_O_2018 = 19
- NIRF_U_2018 = 12
- NIRF_E_2018 = 32
- NIRF_B_2018 = 34
- OUTLOOK_L_2017 = 6
- WEEK_L_2017 = 20
- QS_0101 = 200
In 2018, 201-250 in Asia and 801-1000 in the world are ranked by Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The QS World University Rankings of 2018 gave it 200 places in Asia. In 2018, the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) was ranked 19th in India, 12 universities, 32 in Engineering Rankings and 34 in Management Rankings.
The Faculty of Law was given the sixth place in India by “India’s Top 25 Law Colleges in 2017” and “Top Law College 2017” of 20th week in India.
The former chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia
- Hakim Ajmal Khan (1920-1927)
- Mukhtar Ahmad Ansari (1928 – 1936)
- Abdul Majid Khwaja (1936-1962)
- Zakir Hussain (1963-1969)
- Mohamed Hidatullah (1969 – 1985)
- Khurshid Alam Khan (1985 – 1990)
- SMH Bernie (1990-1995)
- Khurshid Alam Khan (1995 – 2001)
- Fakhruddin T. Khorakiwala (2002-2011)
- Lieutenant General Muhammad Ahmad Zaki (2012-2017)
- Najma Heptullah (2017 – present)
Former Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia
- Mohammed Ali Jawar Johar (1920-1923)
- Abdul Majid Khwaja (1923 – 1925)
- Dr Zakir Hussain (1926 – 1948)
- Muhammad Mujib (1948 – 1973)
- Masood Hussein Khan (1973-1978)
- Anwar Jamal Kidwai (1978 – 1983)
- Ali Ashraf (1983 – 1989)
- Syed Zahoor Qasim (1989-1991)
- Bashiruddin Ahmed (1991 – 1996)
- Lieutenant General Mohammed Ahmed Jacques (1997-2000)
- Syed Shahid Mahdi, Retired IAS (2000-2004)
- Mushirul Hasan (2004-2009)
- Najib Jung, IAS (2009-2013)
- Talat Ahmed, FNA (2014 – present)
Notable alumni of Jamia Millia Islamia
- Rajya Sabha members, Javed Ali Khan, politician
- Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan
- Virender Sehwag, Indian cricketer
- Barkha Dutt, NDTV Editor / Journalist
- Kabir Khan, film director
- Kiran Rao, film producer/director/ actor
- Anjana Om Kashyap, till date editor/journalist
- Danish Aslam, film director
- Roshan Abbas, radio jockey/film director
- Habib Faisal, film writer/director
- International Hockey Player Gagan Ajit Singh
- Mujib Ibrahim, model/actor
- Mohammad Hossein Adeli, Gas Export Country Forum
- Loveleen Tandon, film director
- Anshu Gupta, Senior DGM, L & T Limited
- Cabinet Minister Kamal Akhtar, the politician in Uttar Pradesh government
- Zeeshan Qadri, writer, actor
- Maulvi Imran Raza Ansari, politician, the cabinet minister in Jammu and Kashmir
Conclusion: At the very bottom is a tiny silver crescent which reads Jamia Millia Islamia. This crescent is small but just as it expands to become the full moon on the fourteenth night, so also Jamia. Meaning that this is the beginning of our work. It will expand to become the full moon and a source of delight for the eve of its beholder. Thanks for reading the post.