Are you ready to level up your English grammar skills in 2023? Look no further! We have gathered the ultimate collection of Basic English Grammar MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) that will put your knowledge to the test. Whether you’re a language enthusiast, a student preparing for exams, or simply looking to brush up on your grammar proficiency, this comprehensive PDF guide is exactly what you need.
Get ready to dive into 50 thought-provoking and engaging MCQs with detailed answers that will help you master the nuances of English grammar like never before. Let’s embark on an exciting journey towards grammatical excellence – are you up for the challenge?
Top 50 Basic English Grammar MCQs
1. Various types of situations for which we require the usage of vocabulary can be classified under ___ categories
2. Words used in ___ situations like oops, cab, cops, etc., are not very likely to be found in situations concerned with academic text.
3. A phrasal verb often has a meaning which is different from the original verb.
4. Phrasal verbs cannot be used informally.
5. An ___ in a literal phrasal verb modifies the verb it is attached to, and a preposition links the subject to the verb.
6. A phrasal verb is a combination of a ___ and a ___.
Ans. Verb, preposition
7. Homonyms are words that are pronounced the ___ way.
8. Homonyms are spelt ___. Ans. Differently
9. Business letters are written to convey a ___, ___, ___ and __ message to the receiver.
Ans. Clear, concise, correct and simple
10. A letter is formal when two individuals or organizations ___ in-between each other.
11. Buying a commodity from the market or issuing a letter to purchase goods from a supplier is known as ___.
Ans. Letter of transmission
12. A letter giving instruction to the reader should be purposeful, detailed, and ___ oriented.
1. ___ means that the précis should be a brief and shortened version of the original article.
2. ___ are the keywords that are used to express the main ideas.
3. A memo is a written statement that provides information by a person or a committee to other people. (True or False)
4. ___ are announcements that are distributed to small or selective groups of people within the organization.
5. The only difference between the Circular and Notice is that the Notice is displayed at one place, whereas the Circular is widely circulated among the members concerned. (True or False)
6. A ___ is a formal, written document, the objective of which is to provide important information to the receivers.
7. The idea of writing a notice is to draw attention to something or some event that would take place. (True or False?)
8. The entire content of the notice is centered within a ___.
11. Reports are useful tools for identifying the various events and compiling them together. (True/False)
12. Report differs from an essay because it (report) has more freedom and flexibility. (True/False)
13. Report is written because it is a routine job, but more of an essential informative document. (True/False)
14. A good report helps the executives to take various decisions in a strategic way. (True/False)
15. To write a good report it is necessary to have a good command of the English Language. (True/False)
16. Graphical representations make the report more interesting and factual rather than writing it in a story format. (True/False)
17. A report should be simple, understandable and professional, otherwise, it loses its importance. (True/False)
18. It is important to disclose your name, roll number, guide’s name in the report. (True/False)
19. Chapters should include specifications, practical details, system behaviors and characteristics. (True/False)
20. In the reference section, if you are drawing information from a manual, it should not include the author’s name. (Yes/ No)
21. Match the following
a) It introduces the report by mentioning the salient features and the scope of the report.
b) Written to individuals who helped to compile the report.
c) Refers to the inferences from where the decision is made based on the analysis of the data presented in the report.
A) 1 – a, 2 – b, 3 – c
B) 1 – b, 2 – a, 3 – c
C) 1 – c, 2 – a, 3 – b
D) 1 – b, 2 – c, 3 – a
22. Different types of business reports are required for ___ purpose.
a. Business b) educational c) general. (Tick the correct one.)
23. Preface and Acknowledgement are required in drafting a Performance Appraisal report. (True/False).
24. What is the most important part of the report without which the report is meaningless? Choose the best option:
a) Preface and Recommendation
b) Acknowledgement and recommendation
c) Discussion / Description and introduction
d) Bibliography & Preface
25. A personal letter represents ___ and ___ form.
Ans. Informal, unstructured
26. Structure of a letter has four points. Choose the correct options:
a) Adjustment, Informative, Closing
b) Opening, Quality, Service
c) Body, Closing, Heading
d) Opening, Enclosure, Closing.
Ans. Option C
27. Salutation is given in the letter only to show respect to the reader and not to maintain a standard format. (True / False).
28. CC is the abbreviation of ___.
Ans. Carbon copy
29. Signature and enclosure are not as important as a salutation or the body of the passage. (True / False)
30. A letter of instruction is a ___ letter that contains a sales message.
31. Correct attitude is required for writing a letter because it has serious ___on the reader.
32. Legal letters are different from inquiry letters but they also have something in common. What is it?
Ans. Action, interest
33. A completed action before another activity in the past is shown by ___ tense.
Ans. Past perfect
34. ___ degree expresses a higher degree.
35. ___ expresses a maximal degree. Ans. Superlative
36. If a ___ containing a subject and verb acts as an adjective, it is called an adjective clause. Ans. Group of words
37. Comprehension regulation makes you become an ___ and ___ reader.
Ans. Active, effective
38. Each purpose or reason for reading requires a ___ reading approach.
39. ___ readers make predictions about events, thoughts, outcomes and conclusions.
40. The ___ is the gist of the passage.
Ans. Main idea
41. Dictionary can also be a book of words in one language with their equivalents in another, also known as a ___.
42. A dictionary typically includes each separate meaning in the order of most ___ usage.
43. A ___ is a collection of words in one or more specific languages.
44. A ___ is a book that lists words grouped together according to the similarity of meaning.
45. ___ questions can be answered by paying attention to the keywords.
Ans. Detail based
46. ___ questions require us to understand what is implied.
Ans. Information based
47. ___ tense is used to present dissatisfaction of the past.
Ans. Past perfect
48. I play tennis every Sunday morning.
c. am playing
d. am play
Ans. b. play
49. Permanent situations are shown by ___ tense.
Ans. Simple present
50. Babies cry when they are hungry.
d. are crying
Ans. a. cry
English grammar can be tricky, but with the help of these 50 multiple choice questions, you can easily brush up on your grammar knowledge. With detailed answer explanations for each question, you’ll have a better understanding of what rules apply to certain situations and how to create sentences that follow those rules.
Whether you are studying for an exam or just want to brush up on your skills, this guide will help you get the most out of English grammar practice. Thanks for visiting our website if you like the post on English Grammar MCQs with Answers share on social media.