Preparing for exams can be a daunting task, especially when it comes to subjects like Database Management System. With so many concepts and theories to grasp, students often find themselves in need of additional practice materials to solidify their understanding.
If you are one such student on the lookout for a comprehensive collection of Database Management System Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with answers, then you have arrived at the right place.
In this article, we will explore the benefits of MCQs as an exam preparation tool and provide you with a convenient PDF download that will enable you to enhance your knowledge and improve your chances of success in your upcoming exams. So let’s dive in and unlock the world of DBMS MCQs together!
Top 75 Database Management System MCQs
1. The basic component of a file in a file system is a ___.
Ans. Data item
2. UoD stands for ___.
Ans. Universe of Discourse
3. Database Management System is a ___ system to facilitate the creation and maintenance of a computerized database.
4. The database management system is the major software component of a ___.
Ans. Database system
5. ___ were among the first to use databases in a geographically distributed manner.
6. Web accesses may be stored in a ___.
7. The ___ machines came along and let users interact directly with databases.
Ans. Automated teller
8. In ___ database is used for keeping records of calls made, generating monthly bills, maintaining balances on prepaid calling cards, and storing information about the communication networks.
9. Data independence is usually considered from ___ points of view.
10. ___ data independence allows changes in physical storage devices.
11. ___ data independence implies that application programs need not be changed if fields are added to an existing record.
12. Logical data independence is more ___ to achieve than physical independence.
13. The ___ is one part of the conceptual design process.
Ans. data model
14. Data modelling is preceded by ___ and analysis.
15. The E-R data model based on a perception of the real-world that consists of a set of basic objects called ___.
16. A particular occurrence of an entity is called an entity ___.
17. An entity in A is associated with at most one entity in B, and an entity B is associated with at most one entity in A, this type of relationship is ___.
18. In one-to-many relationships, an entity in A is associated with any number of entities in B. An entity in B, however, can be associated with at most ___ entity in A.
19. The database administrator is the focus of the ___ control.
20. Any redundancies that exist in the DBMS are controlled and the system ensures that these multiple copies are ___.
21. ___ means that the data contained in the database is both accurate and consistent.
Ans. Data integrity
22. Data is of ___ importance to an organization and may be confidential.
23. A significant disadvantage of the DBMS system is ___.
24. Relational/SQL data is ___ to query than hierarchical, CODASYL, or some other model.
25. The relational model is based on ___ its accuracy and usefulness as a basis in mathematics.
Ans. set theory
26. The overall design of the database is called the ___ schema.
27. In general, the database system supports one physical schema, one conceptual schema and several ___.
28. The highest level of abstraction as seen by a user is called a ___ view.
29. ___ level describes what data are actually stored in the database.
30. There is only ___ conceptual schema per database.
31. Each transactional table handler implements its own ___ to handle all locking and concurrency needs.
Ans. Transaction Manager
32. ___ systems must be capable of handling thousands of orders placed at the same time.
Ans. Online Transaction Processing (OLTP)
33. In ___ the data storage mechanism must be transparent to the users who purchase the application.
Ans. Independent Software Vendors (ISVs)
34. Oracle 9i Database product is made up of ___ main components.
35. The ___ consists of physical files and memory components.
Ans. Oracle server
36. The ___ consists of the memory components of Oracle and various background processes.
Ans. Oracle Instance
37. Database management systems provide a facility known as the ___, which can be used to define the conceptual schema.
Ans. data definition language (DDL)
38. DML is a language that enables users to access or manipulate as organized by the appropriate ___.
Ans. data model
39. ___ DML requires a user to specify what data is needed and how to get it.
40. ___ converts DML statement embedded in an application program to normal procedure calls in the host language.
Ans. DML Precompiler
41. The DDL compiler converts the data definition statements into a set of ___.
42. The ___ translates the various DML statements into low-level file system commands.
Ans. database manager
43. The ___ is used to interpret the online user’s query and convert it into an efficient series of operations.
Ans. query processor
44. The ___ is also responsible for defining procedures to recover the database from failures.
45. The DBA grants different types of ___ for data access to the various users of the database.
46. The DBA uses the ___ in every phase of a database life cycle.
Ans. data dictionary
47. A data dictionary is implemented as a database so that users can query its content by either interactive or ___ processing.
Ans. batch processing
48. In ICT, the ___ subsystem is responsible for managing interaction with the end-user.
Ans. Interface subsystem
49. Transaction subsystem acts as the link between the ___ and the rules and interface subsystems.
Ans. data subsystem
50. The ___ subsystem manages the application logic in terms of a defined model of business rules.
51. Client-server is a software architecture in which two processes interact as superior and ___.
52. In practice, a client-server database system generally refers to a ___ of personal computers (PCs).
Ans. local area network
53. In the ___ data model the database is represented as a group of related tables.
54. Each tuple in a relation must be ___; that is, there can be no duplicates.
55. A tuple is an ___ set of values.
56. In relational integrity constraints, there are ___ main types of constraints.
57. If a relation has several candidate keys, one is chosen arbitrarily to be the ___ key.
58. The set of permissible values for each attribute is called the ___ for that attribute.
59. A single attribute or combination of attributes whose values uniquely identify the ___ of the relation.
60. The hierarchical data model organizes data in a ___ structure.
61. In a hierarchical database the parent-child relationship is ___.
Ans. one to many
62. The popularity of the network data model coincided with the popularity of the ___ data model.
63. Object DBMSs add database functionality to ___ programming languages.
64. A major benefit of the Object-Oriented data model approach is the ___ of the application.
65. There are ___ basic notions that the E-R data model employs.
66. An ___ is a “thing” or object in the real world that is distinguishable from all other objects.
67. An entity set is a set of entities of the same type that share the same properties or ___.
68. Attributes are properties used to describe an ___.
69. Each entity has a single atomic value for the attribute is called ___ attribute.
70. Address is an example of ___ attribute.
71. The value for ___ type of attribute can be derived from the values of other related attributes or entities.
72. An attribute of an entity type for which each entity must have a unique value is called a ___ of the entity type.
Ans. key attribute
73. One of the following is a demerit of ER modelling.
a. Gives a higher-level abstraction of the system.
b. Can be generalized and specialized based on needs.
c. Physical design derived from the E-R Model may have some amount of ambiguities or inconsistency.
d. Intuitive and helps in physical database creation
Ans. Physical design derived from the E-R Model may have some amount of ambiguities or inconsistency.
74. How many basics are there in the E-R data model?
a. Three b. Four
c. Five d. Six
75. An ___ is a “thing” or object in the real world that is distinguishable from all other objects.
d. Simple attribute
The Database Management System MCQs with Answers Pdf Download provides a comprehensive and valuable resource for individuals interested in testing their knowledge of this important field.
The multiple-choice questions cover a wide range of topics and are accompanied by detailed answers, allowing readers to not only check their understanding but also learn from any mistakes made. We encourage you to share these MCQs on social media platforms to help others benefit from this resource as well.
By doing so, you will be contributing to the growth and advancement of database management knowledge worldwide. Thank you for your participation and support!