Preparing for exams can be a daunting task, especially when it comes to subjects like Data Communication. To ensure success, students often seek additional resources and practice materials that can help them understand the concepts better and master the subject effectively.
If you find yourself in this situation, searching for reliable Data Communication multiple-choice questions (MCQs) with answers or model question papers, then look no further! In this article, we have compiled a comprehensive collection of MCQs and model question papers specifically designed to assist you in your exam preparation journey. So, let’s dive in and explore these valuable resources that are sure to enhance your understanding of Data Communication!
Data Communication MCQ with Answers – Model Question Papers for preparation of academic and competitive exams of various institutes.
Data Communication MCQ with Answers
1. ___ means 2 or more bits in the data unit have changed from 1 to 0 or from 0 to 1.
Ans. Burst error
2. A burst error is more likely to occur than a single-bit error. (True/False).
3. To be able to detect or correct errors, we need to send some extra bits called ___ bits with our data.
4. Maximal sequencing is one of the more popular coding methods in a spread-spectrum system. (True /False?)
5. The most important feature of spread spectrum is its ability to___.
Ans. reject interference
6. The original ALOHA protocol is called ___.
Ans. pure ALOHA
7. CSMA stands for ___.
Ans. Carrier sense multiple access
8. The basic idea behind CSMA/CD is that a station needs to be able to receive while transmitting to detect a ___.
9. ___ was invented to improve the efficiency of pure ALOHA
Ans. Slotted ALOHA
10. In ___the available bandwidth is divided into frequency bands.
11. The main problem with TDMA lies in achieving synchronization between the different stations. (True /False?)
12. CDMA stands for ___.
Ans. Code division multiple access
13. To transmit the data beyond a local area from source to destination, a network of ___ nodes are required.
Ans. intermediate switching
14. Multiplexing allows efficient utilization of the full capacity of the channel. (True or False?)
15. A common application of multiplexing is in ___ communications.
16. Spread Spectrum uses ___ noise-like signals.
17. The use of ___ in spread spectrum communications makes signals appear wideband and noise-like.
Ans. pseudo-noise codes
18. The carrier of the direct-sequence radio stays at a ___ frequency.
19. Node-station links are generally dedicated ___ links.
20. In ___ switching there is a dedicated communication path between two stations.
21. In the ___approach, a preplanned route is established before any packets are sent.
Ans. virtual circuit
22. MODEM performs modulation and demodulation of transmitted data. (True or false?)
23. ___ is the ability of the network to deliver packets via some route in the face of localized failures and overloads.
24. The switching centres in the network are called ___.
25. A space-division switch is one in which the signal paths are physically separate from one another (divided in space). (True or False?)
26. The basic building block of the switch is a metallic crosspoint or semiconductor gate.
Ans. Crosspoint, semiconductor gate
27. A ___ is a general-purpose computer running specialized software that turns it into a smart phone switch.
28. MGC stands for ___.
Ans. media gateway controller
29. The ___is a distributed collection of packet-switching nodes.
Ans. packet-switching network
30. Which packet switching does not require a call setup?
31. A data network or internet is a network of___.
32. Packets are stored in the input buffer of the corresponding port as they arrive. (True /False?)
33. Congestion at one point in the network quickly ____ throughout a region or the entire network.
34. ___ is a technique for congestion control.
35. A ___ is a control packet generated at a congested node and transmitted back to a source node to restrict traffic flow.
Ans. choke packet
36. ICMP stands for ___.
Ans. Internet Control Message Protocol
37. Explicit congestion control techniques operate over connection-oriented networks. (True / False?)
38. If all of the queue buffers are of not equal length, then the queues with the highest traffic load will suffer discards more often. (True / False?)
39. A reservation scheme is an integral part of ___ networks.
40. One aspect of a reservation scheme is ___.
Ans. traffic policing
41. LAN stands for ___.
Ans. Local Area Network
42. SAN stands for ___.
Ans. Storage Area Network
43. In a SAN, no server sits between the ___ and the network.
Ans. storage devices
44. In ___ topology the transmission medium is a branching cable with no closed loops.
45. In which LAN topology each station is directly connected to a common central node?
46. In LAN protocol architecture, the bottom two layers namely the physical layer and the data link layer are defined. (True /False?)
47. DSAP stands for ___.
Ans. Destination Service Access Point
48. The bridge should contain enough buffer space to meet peak demands. (True /False?)
49. A ___ contains multiple ports.
50. A switch keeps a record of the ___ addresses of all the devices connected to it.
51. ___ is a local area network configured by software not by physical wiring.
Ans. Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN)
52. ISDN stands for ___.
Ans. Integrated Services Digital Network
53. Decision place refers to which node or nodes in the network are responsible for taking the decision. (True /False?).
54. For fixed routing a single ___ is configured for each source-destination pair of nodes in the network.
Ans. permanent route
55. What is the principal disadvantage of flooding?
Ans. High traffic load
56. In random routing a node selects only one outgoing path for retransmission of an incoming packet. (True or False?)
57. Which was the world’s first operational packet switching network and that was the foundation of the present-day Internet.
58. The original routing algorithm, designed in 1969, was a ___ algorithm
Ans. Distributed adaptive
59. Link utilization is expressed as a function of delay.(True /False?)
60. Virtually all packet-switching networks and all internets base their routing decision on some form of ____ criterion.
61. In Dijkstra’s algorithm, N represents a set of ___ in the network.
62. A generalization of the minimum-hop criterion is ___.
Ans. least-cost routing
63. The Ethernet frame contains ___ fields.
64. An Ethernet frame needs to have a minimum length of ___ bits.
65. Standard Ethernet uses ___ CSMA/CD.
66. Slot time =___ + ___.
Ans. Round-trip time, Time required to send the jam sequence
67. All standard implementations use digital signalling (baseband) at ___.
Ans. 10 Mbps
68. 10Base-F uses a ___ topology to connect stations to a hub.
69. A bridge divides the network into two or more networks (True/False)
70. 10Base5 and 10Base2 communication is ___.
Ans. a) half-duplex
71. In full-duplex switched Ethernet, there is no need for the CSMA/CD method. (True/False)
72. ___ is added between the LLC sublayer and the MAC sublayer to provide flow and error control in full-duplex switched Ethernet.
Ans. MAC control
73. Fast Ethernet implementation at the physical layer can be Categorized as either ___.
Ans. Two-wire or four-wire.
74. ___ was designed to use category 3 or higher UTP which uses four pairs of UTP for transmitting 100 Mbps.
75. Gigabit Ethernet cannot use the Manchester encoding scheme because it involves a very high bandwidth. (True/False)
76. The IEEE committee created Ten-Gigabit Ethernet and called it as ___ Standard.
77. ___ establishes an initial association between a station and an AP.
78. IEEE 802.11 includes a frame exchange protocol to deal with errors at the MAC level more efficiently. (True or False)
79. The IEEE 802.11 infrared scheme is ___ rather than point to point.
80. ___ is an extension of the IEEE 802.11 DSSS scheme, providing data rates of 5.5 and 11 Mbps in the ISM band.
Ans. IEEE 802.11b
81. ___ is Used to establish the identity of stations to each other.
82. WEP stands for ___.
Ans. Wired Equivalent Privacy
83. Wireless LAN systems can provide LAN users with access to real-time information anywhere in their organization. (True or False?)
84. The infrared spectrum is regulated worldwide. (True or False?)
85. A ___ wireless LAN makes use of a multiple-cell arrangement.
Ans. spread spectrum
86. ESS stands for ___.
Ans. Extended Service Set
87. The frame defined in HDLC is divided into a PDU at the ___ sub-layer.
88. What is the need of LLC?
Ans. The purpose of the LLC is to provide flow and error control for the upper-layer protocols that actually demand these services.
89. ___ defines Media Access Control (MAC) and Physical (PHY) layers specifications for wireless LANs.
Ans. IEEE 802.11
90. An ___ network is a peer-to-peer network.
Ans. ad hoc
Participating in MCQ on Data Communication MCQ with Answers Model Question Papers has allowed us to test our knowledge and understanding of data communication concepts. By answering these multiple-choice questions, we have been able to identify areas where we excel and areas where we may need further study.
Sharing this experience on social media can help others benefit from the same opportunity for self-assessment and learning. So, let’s share our results and encourage others to join in this valuable exercise of enhancing their understanding of data communication. Together, we can continue to expand our knowledge and expertise in this important field.
Thanks for studying from our blogs if you like the post on Data Communication MCQ with Answers please share on social media. Download the PDF ebook the MCQ