Data Communication MCQ with Answers pdf Notes Download. MCQ on Data Communication and Networking with Answers pdf for MCA, BCA, MSC IT, BSC IT Exams.
Data Communication MCQ with Answers
1. Define Computer Networks ___
Ans. A group of computers and other devices connected together s sharing resources is called Computer Network.
2. Networks make it easier to share expensive hardware and software. (True/False).
3. Which of the following Factors affects Response Time in Computer Network.
a) Number of Users
b) Transmission Speed
c) Media Type
d) All the above
Ans. d. All the above WAN
4. Which of the following is the major NOT the criteria that a Data Communication Network must meet.
5. Which type of network connects computers and resources together in a building or buildings close together?
6. Which type of networks t connects LANs together within a city?
7. Which type of Networks connects LANs together between cities or across a country?
8. Star topology requires less cable length than a linear topology. (True/False).
9. In bus topology it is difficult to identify the problem if the entire network shuts down. (True/False).
10. The entities comprising the corresponding layers on different machines are called ___.
Ans. Peer processes
11. In ___ communication type, data transfer occurs in only one direction.
12. ___ communication type, data transfer occurs in either direction, but not simultaneously.
13. ___ layer coordinates the functions required to carry a bitstream over a physical medium.
Ans. Physical Layer
14. ___ layer is responsible for the source-to-destination delivery of a packet, possibly across multiple networks.
Ans. Network Layer
15. ___ layer is responsible for the process-to-process delivery of the entire message.
Ans. Transport Layer
16. ___ signal completes a pattern within a measurable time frame called a period and repeats that pattern over subsequent identical periods.
17. Attenuation is expressed in decibel because signal strengths often fall ___.
18. ___ is caused due to the inductive coupling between two wires that is close to each other.
19. Transmission impairment is one of the factors which determines the data rate and distance of the transmission medium. (True/False)
20. Twisted pair is designed to support voice traffic using digital signalling. (True/False)
21. The principal constraints on the performance of coaxial cable are ___, thermal noise, and intermodulation noise.
22. Which are the three concentric sections of optical fibre?
Ans. Core, cladding and jacket
23. If a composite signal contains frequencies between 1000 and 5000, its bandwidth ___.
24. Wavelength binds the period or the frequency of a simple sine wave to the ___ of the medium.
Ans. propagation speed
25. A composite signal can be periodic or nonperiodic. (True/False)
26. Mention three problems in transmission lines.
Ans. Attenuation, delay distortion and Noise
27. According to the sampling theorem sampling frequency fs must be greater than ___ of the maximum frequency fmax.
28. ___ is the process of converting digital data into digital signals.
Ans. Line coding
29. The bandwidth (range of frequencies) is proportional to the signal rate (baud rate). (True/False)
30. In the NRZ signal the signal return to zero at the end of the bit period. (True/False).
31. The Three subclasses of serial transmission are ___, ___ and___
Ans. Asynchronous, synchronous, and isochronous.
32. Parallel transmission can increase the transfer speed by a factor of ___over the serial transmission.
33. In real-time audio and video ___ transmission method is used.
34. In which encoding, the duration of the bit is divided into two halves where voltage remains at one level during the first half and moves to the other level in the second half.
Ans. c) Manchester
35. In the bipolar with 8-zero substitution (B8ZS) technique, eight consecutive zero-level voltages are replaced by the sequence ___.
36. Which are the three processes in PCM?
Ans. Sampling, Quantizing and encoding
37. If the signal as a maximum frequency of 20Khz what is the Nyquist rate for sampling?
38. Gigabit Ethernet cannot use the Manchester encoding scheme because it involves a very high bandwidth. (True/False)
39. How delta modulation is different from PCM.
Ans. PCM finds the value of the signal amplitude for each sample; DM finds the change from the previous sample.
40. How Adaptive DM differs from DM.
Ans. In adaptive delta modulation, the value of δ changes according to the amplitude of the analog signal
41. Parity checking is effective in detecting a___ number of bit errors in a character
42. How many numbers of bits in every character bit sequence are reserved for parity?
43. A perfect Hamming code exists for k =___
Ans. 2m– m – 1
44. The Hamming code can be converted to an SEC-DED code by adding ___ check bit.
45. The cyclic redundancy check, or CRC, is a technique for detecting errors in digital data, but not for making corrections when errors are detected. (True/False)
46. The CRC is like treating the message as a very large binary number and computing the remainder on dividing it by a fairly large prime. (True/False)
47. The ___ DLL translates the physical layer’s raw bitstream into discrete units (messages) called frames.
48. In character stuffing two-character sequence ___ to signal the beginning of a frame, and the sequence ___ to flag the frame’s end.
Ans. DLE STX (Data-Link Escape, Start of Text), DLE ETX (End of Text)
49. In bit stuffing use the 8-bit sequence of ___ also called a flag pattern to delimit consecutive frames.
50. Which are the two approaches for flow control?
Ans. feedback-based flow control, rate-based flow control
51. ___ is concerned with ensuring that all frames are eventually delivered and possibly in order to a destination as they are sent from the source.
Ans. Error control
52. Stop and wait is a Full-duplex link protocol (True/False)
53. In Stop-and-Wait Automatic Repeat Request protocol adds a ___ to the stop-and-wait protocol.
Ans. The simple error control mechanism
54. In Stop-and-Wait Automatic Repeat Request ACK frame can also be corrupted and lost, it too needs ___ bits and a sequence number.
55. For m bits for the sequence number In Sliding window protocol the maximum size of the window is ___.
Ans. 2m – 1
56. The selective repeat protocol also uses two windows they are ___ window and the ___ window.
Ans. Send, receive
57. In Selective Repeat protocol, ___ are sent when data are delivered to the network layer.
58. State True (T) or False (F) and pick the right option.
i. Simplest protocol is a unidirectional protocol ii. In the Simplest protocol there is no need for flow control.
a) i-T, ii-T
b) i-F, ii-T
c) i-F, ii-F
d) i-T, ii-F
Ans. a) i-T, ii-T
59. HDLC can be used for ___ to ___ connections
Ans. Point, multipoint
60. HDLC frames can be transmitted over only synchronous links. (True/False).
61. The frame defined in HDLC is divided into a PDU at the ___ sub-layer.
62. What is the need for LLC?
Ans. The purpose of the LLC is to provide flow and error control for the upper-layer protocols that actually demand these services.
63. The Ethernet frame contains ___ fields.
64. An Ethernet frame needs to have a minimum length of ___ bits.
65. Standard Ethernet uses ___ CSMA/CD.
66. Slot time =___ + ___.
Ans. Round-trip time, Time required to send the jam sequence
67. All standard implementations use digital signalling (baseband) at ___.
Ans. 10 Mbps
68. 10Base-F uses a ___ topology to connect stations to a hub.
69. A bridge divides the network into two or more networks (True/False)
70. 10Base5 and 10Base2 communication is ___.
Ans. a) half-duplex
71. In full-duplex switched Ethernet, there is no need for the CSMA/CD method (True/False)
72. ___ is added between the LLC sublayer and the MAC sublayer to provide flow and error control in full-duplex switched Ethernet.
Ans. MAC control
73. Fast Ethernet implementation at the physical layer can be Categorized as either ___.
Ans. Two-wire or four-wire
74. ___ was designed to use category 3 or higher UTP which uses four pairs of UTP for transmitting 100 Mbps.
75. OSPF supports three kinds of connection and networks.
a) Point to point lines b/w exactly two routers.
b) Multi-access networks with broadcasting.
c) Multi-access networks without broadcasting.
d) All of the above
Ans. d) All of the above
Thanks for visiting our website, if you like the post on Data Communication MCQ with Answers pdf please share it with your friends on social media.