Are you a student getting ready for an important exam on Data Communication and Networking? Are you searching for a comprehensive resource that can provide you with multiple-choice questions (MCQs) along with their answers in PDF format?
Look no further, as you have landed in the right place! In this article, we will present a valuable collection of Data Communication and Networking MCQs to assist you in your exam preparation. These MCQs cover various topics within the field of data communication and networking, helping you test your knowledge and understanding of key concepts.
Whether you are studying for a class test or aiming to enhance your expertise in this domain, our curated selection of MCQs will serve as an invaluable tool to assess your grasp of the subject matter.
80 MCQs on Data Communication and Networking
1. The ___ layer is the topmost layer in the subnet.
2. The ___ routing is also referred to as non-adaptive.
3. Stability is also an important goal for routing algorithms. (True/False)
4. The ___ routing algorithms change their routing decisions to reflect changes in topology and usually the traffic as well.
Ans. Dynamic or adaptive
5. The set of optimal routes from source to a given destination form a tree rooted at the destination called a ___ tree.
6. ___ is a static algorithm in which every incoming packet is sent out on every outgoing line except the one it arrives on. This method usually generates a vast number of duplicate packets.
7. In the ___ routing algorithm, each router knows all details about how to route packets to destinations within its own region. But it does not have any idea about the internal structure of other regions.
8. The Aloha protocol is an OSI layer 2 protocols for LAN networks with ___ topology.
9. Carrier Sense Multiple Access (CSMA) is a probabilistic protocol.
Ans. Media Access Control (MAC) protocol
10. In binary exponential algorithm to accommodate the longest path allowed by Ethernet (common for LAN) the slot time has been set to ___ bit times.
11. The IEEE committee created Ten-Gigabit Ethernet and called it as ___ Standard
12. Sending a packet to all destinations simultaneously is called ___.
13. Each frame in the HDLC frame begins and ends with a ___.
Ans. Frame delimiter
14. Each frame in HDLC consists of three different frames. They are ___, ___&___
15. Which Component of PPP is used for establishing, configuring, and testing the data-link connection?
• Supervisory Frames
• Link Control Protocol (LCP)
16. Which Component of PPP I used for establishing and configuring different network-layer protocols?
Ans. Network Control Protocols (NCPs)
17. Data link layer is split into ___ and ___ sub-layers.
Ans. MAC, LLC
18. A ___ is a subset of the subnet that includes all the routers but contains no loops.
19. In the ___ method when a broadcast packet arrives at a router, the router checks to see if the packet arrived on the line that is normally used for sending packets to the source of the broadcast.
Ans. reverse path forwarding
20. In ___ routing, we send messages to well-defined groups that are numerically large in size but small compared to the network as a whole.
21. Flow control relates to the point-to-point traffic between a given sender and a given receiver. (True/False)
22. When too many packets are present in (a part of) the subnet, performance degrades. This situation is called a ___.
23. File transfer applications, including e-mail and video, are delay-sensitive. (True/False)
24. A stream of packets from a source to a destination is called a ___.
25. The main IETF protocol for the integrated services architecture is ___.
26. Flow-based algorithms or integrated services were aimed at both unicast and multicast applications. (True/False)
27. At any instant of time, an ad hoc network can be described by a ___.
Ans. Graph of the nodes (routers + hosts)
28. Networks of nodes that just happen to be near each other are called ___.
Ans. ad hoc networks
29. When a process sends a multicast packet to a group, the first router examines its spanning tree and prunes it, removing all lines that do not lead to hosts that are members of the group. (True/False)
30. AODV (Ad hoc On-demand Distance Vector) routing algorithm is an on-demand algorithm. (True/False)
31. IP addresses are managed and created by the ___.
Ans. Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
32. The IP address space should be divided into ___ different address classes.
33. Each Class A network address has an ___ network-prefix with the highest order bit set to 0.
34. Each Class C network address has a ___ network-prefix with the three highest-order bits set to 1-1-0.
35. ___ divides the address into a network prefix and local portion.
36. An organization cannot have a mixture of large and small networks to achieve higher utilization of address space. (True/False)
37. Which class of networks use subnetting?
Ans. class B
38. A subnet mask should have ___ for all bits that correspond to the network portion of the address.
39. The ___ address is a logical address because it is assigned at the Internet layer and has no relation to the addresses that are used at the Network Interface layer.
40. The IPV4 address 11000000101010000000001100011000 is expressed as ___ in dotted decimal notation.
41. IPV4 addresses are represented in ___.
Ans. dotted decimal notation
42. A ___ address identifies a single interface within the scope of the type of unicast address.
43. ___ is the standard method for finding a host’s hardware address when only its network layer address is known.
Ans. Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
44. ARP reply Frame header is subdivided into ___ & ___.
Ans. The physical address, IP address
45. ___ is a network layer protocol used to obtain an IP address for a given hardware address (such as an Ethernet address).
Ans. Reverse Address Resolution Protocol (RARP)
46. RARP reply frame also consists of two fields they are ___ & ___.
Ans. Frame header, RARP reply message
47. Symmetric release treats the connection as two separate unidirectional connections and requires each one to be released separately. (True/False)
48. In UDP protocol post ___ through ___ are registered posts.
Ans. 1024; 49151
49. List the computer network application that uses UDP.
Ans. DNS; VOIP; TFTP
50. What is the minimum & maximum Size of the TCP Header?
Ans. The minimum is 5 words and the maximum is 15 words.
51. ___ happens in any system that involves Waiting.
Ans. Congestion, queues
52. Congestion in a network or internetwork occurs because routers and Switches having ___, ___ that hold packets before and after processing.
53. TCP protocol is a connectionless protocol. State true or false.
54. List the problems that occur while establishing a connection.
Ans. The network can lose packets, store and duplicate packets these are the problems
55. List the ways by which Packet lifetime can be restricted to a known maximum value.
a) Restricted Subnet design
b) Putting hop counter in each packet
c) Time-stamping each packet.
56. In ___ way the telephone system works.
Ans. Asymmetric release
57. TPDU is an acronym for ___.
Ans. Transport Protocol Data Unit
58. In telnet Commands are always introduced by a character with the decimal code ___ known as an Interpret as command (IAC) character.
59. In telnet what is the decimal code for the echo? ___.
60. Which service primitive is used to exchanging data in connection-oriented services?
Ans. SEND and RECEIVE
61. The ___ protocol is based on end-to-end delivery.
a) SMTP b) TCP c) IP d) SCTP
62. The client SMTP uses the ___ to determine the IP address of the destination mailbox.
Ans. Domain Name System
63. The sender SMTP establishes a TCP connection with the destination SMTP and then waits for the server to send a ___ Service ready message.
a) 420 b) 320 c) 220 d) 120
64. ___ is a command-line tool designed for most UNIX-like operating systems.
65. Sendmail uses a ___ system to manage inbound and outbound mail.
66. FTP is a commonly-used protocol for exchanging files over any network that supports the ___ protocol.
67. FTP servers by default listen on port ___ for incoming connections from FTP clients.
68. The idea of having one-page point to another is now called ___.
69. State true or false: People authenticate other people by faces, voices, and handwriting
70. Issues like authentication and non-repudiation can only be handled in the ___ layer.
71. List E-mail secure systems.
Ans. PGP, PEM, and S/MIME
72. PGP encrypts data by using a block cypher called ___.
Ans. IDEA (International Data Encryption Algorithm)
73. PGP uses ___ bit keys.
74. The HTTP communication is initiated by the ___ requesting a resource on the origin server.
75. Because HTTP is a distributed information-based protocol, ___ can improve the performance significantly.
76. What does the Web consist of?
Ans. a vast, worldwide collection of documents called Web pages
77. State true or false: Each page may contain links to other pages anywhere in the world.
78. A Web browser, at a minimum, consists of a ___ and ___.
Ans. Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) interpreter and HTTP client
79. ___ is responsible for servicing requests for information from Web browsers.
Ans. Web servers
80. HTTP is a stateless protocol because of ___.
Ans. it does not keep track of the connections
Participating in these Data Communication and Networking MCQs with Answers has allowed us to test our knowledge and understanding of this important field. We hope that you found the questions challenging yet informative, helping you to deepen your understanding of data communication and networking concepts.
If you enjoyed these MCQs, we encourage you to share them with others on social media platforms. By sharing these resources, you can help spread knowledge and engage more individuals in learning about this vital area of technology. Thank you for your participation and continued support in expanding our collective understanding of data communication and networking.