Are you currently studying for an upcoming computer network exam and in need of practice questions? Look no further! In this article, we have prepared a comprehensive set of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) along with their answers. These MCQs cover various aspects of computer networking, providing you with an opportunity to assess your knowledge and test your understanding before the big day.
Computer networks play a crucial role in today’s digital age, serving as the backbone of communication and connectivity among devices. From local area networks (LANs) to wide area networks (WANs), understanding the concepts, protocols, and technologies behind computer networking is essential for any aspiring IT professional or enthusiast.
Computer Network MCQs with Answers: Paper – I
1. The network is considered as the ___ between the computing programs and equipment.
2. The concept of computer network emerged in the 1960s. (True/False)?
3. ARPANET was the base for early research into communications protocols, which evolved into the ___.
4. Workstation is called a server computer. (True/False)?
5. The interaction between client and server computer is possible through ___.
Ans. Network Interface Card (NIC)
6. Hub transfers messages as ___.
7. Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) is considered as an extended LAN. (True/False)?
8. WAN is connected by the ___ which includes components such as transmission lines and switching elements.
9. WANs use a satellite system, where a router has a ___ to transmit the data.
10. The main focus of the computer network is ___.
Ans. Resource sharing
11. Videoconferencing helps companies to conduct meetings with the people that are located at a far distance-(True/False)?
12. E-commerce offers home shopping with online ___ to browse through the company products.
13. Mobile maps which display ___.
Ans. Weather forecasts
14. Wireless network refers to a computer network, whose nodes are interconnected with the use of wires? (True/False)
15. Wireless network is associated with ___ network.
16. System interconnections deal with connecting various components of the computer system using short-frequency ___.
Ans. Radio waves
17. The International Organisation for standardisation (ISO) developed the ___ model.
Ans. Open System Interconnection (OSI)
18. Internet layer contains ___, which is used to translate the IP address into a physical address.
Ans. Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
19. TCP is said to be the most unreliable protocol. (True/False)?
20. TELNET is a virtual terminal protocol that allows ___ over the network.
Ans. Remote login
21. In the OSI reference model, the Transport layer supports only ___ communication.
22. The physical layer deals with raw data. (True/False)
23. Packets can be considered as the sequence of bits that form the data. (True/False)
24. Network layer encapsulates the frames received from the data link layer to form ___.
25. Transport layer provides ___ upon receipt of the messages.
26. Presentation layer is also known as ___.
Ans. Network translator
27. The Host to the network is also called ___.
Ans. Network interface layer
28. In numbered connection, each end of the connection will have a unique ___.
Ans. IP address
29. The computer dials a phone number a get connected to the local server and hence to the Internet-(True/False)?
30. Virtual Private Network is basically a computer network that uses the Internet to provide ___ data transfers between the two devices on the network.
31. Fourier analysis is a mathematical analysis that determines the periodic waveforms in terms of___.
Ans. Trigonometric functions
32. The conversion of data from the digital form to analog form is known as ___.
33. Demodulation helps to gain the actual message back from the modulated carrier. (True/False)
34. The data to be transmitted are encoded into an ___ signal and then transmitted across the transmission media.
35. The rapid development of communication-based technologies and the desire for mobility has led to the development of ___.
Ans. Wireless communication
36. The wireless communication concept is widely used in the telecommunication sector. (True/False)
37. Data communication system offers tools, products and equipment’s that are necessary to establish ___.
38. The communication system is formed by the collection of hardware, software and the ___ links.
Ans. Data transfer
39. The communication system must be able to accept the data of any format. (True/False)
40. Sender ___ the message in the form of a file on the disk or the typed information from the input device.
41. The computers that are placed at the remote location use ___ form of the data communication process.
42. In Full-Duplex mode, data can be transmitted in both directions at the same time and on a different channel. (True/False)
43. The parallel transmission is considered as the fastest ___.
Ans. Data transmission mode
44. In parallel transmission, each bit of data flow simultaneously over the same communication channel. (True/False)
45. The DCE can be considered as the intermediate device that helps in signal ___and ___.
Ans. Conversion, Coding
46. DCE generally generates a clock signal for which ___converts these signals into useful information.
Ans. Data terminal equipment (DTE)
47. Serial Communication Interfacing (SCI) transmits the data using a parallel-to-serial converter-(True/False)?
48. In the electrical interface, both DTE and DCE must have the same ___code, where binary digit 1 represents the specific condition and 0 represent some other specific condition.
49. An electronic device that performs multiplexing is known as ___.
Ans. Multiplexer (MUX)
50. Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) is the process of transmitting the ___ over a single communication channel in a series of alternating time slots.
Ans. Digital data
51. Space Division Multiplexing (SPM) reduces the concept of ___.
Ans. Cable system
52. Code Division Multiplexing (CDM) enables to transmit of the signals from different sources simultaneously over the same frequency band. (True/False)
53. The CDM techniques are used in Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) technology which is applicable in ___.
Ans. Global Positioning System (GPS)
54. In Code Division Multiplexing (CDM), the signal from each individual source is distributed over a common frequency band by using ___.
Ans. Orthogonal codes
55. Data compression technique applies ___ to data so that certain bits are not repeated unnecessarily.
56. The application that cannot reconstruct the data to get the original data by performing a decompression technique usually uses ___ compression.
57. If the user wishes to minimise the image storage space by reducing the image file size then the image compression is said to be using the ___ method.
Ans. Lossy compression
58. Video compression is widely used in ___.
59. The audio compression is implemented as ___ that compresses or decompresses the digital audio data to get a streaming audio format.
Ans. Audio codecs
60. Receiver’s communication system converts the message in the format, which is understandable by the computer generating the message. (True/False)
61. Error detection and error correction are the two main approaches of ___.
Ans. Error control.
62. Repetition code is a coding method, in which the bits are repeated across the ___ to achieve error-free communication.
Ans. Communication channel.
63. Cyclic redundancy codes can be understood better by representing them as ___, which is used as the divisor in a polynomial long division over a finite field, taking the input data as the dividend and where the remainder becomes the output.
64. Flow control manages the amount of data that can be sent before receiving data. (True/False)
65. Feedback based flow control and rate-based flow control are the main approaches to error control. (True/False)
66. In the error control method, the receiver sends feedback to the sender. (True/False)
67. Asynchronous protocols are the ___ protocols that are used in asynchronous transmission.
68. Simple Mail Transfer Protocol is an___ protocol for transmitting the e-mails across the network.
Ans. Internet standard
69. Piggybacking is a method that is used to improve the efficiency of the ___ protocol.
70. Post Office Protocol (POP) is used by a local receiver to retrieve an e-mail from the remote sender over ___ connection.
71. The High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC) is a ___ protocol for communication over point-to-point and multipoint links.
Ans. Bit oriented.
72. Normal Response Mode of HDLC defines the set of procedures that are to be used with ___ configuration.
The Computer Network MCQs with Answers Model Test Paper – I has provided a comprehensive and interactive platform for testing your knowledge in computer networking.
We hope that you have found this model test paper useful in assessing your understanding of various concepts related to computer networks. By participating in this test, you have not only challenged yourself but also enhanced your knowledge in this field.
If you found this model test paper helpful, we encourage you to share it on social media platforms so that others can also benefit from it. Let’s spread the knowledge and help each other grow in the world of computer networking.