Are you a student gearing up for an upcoming exam on computer fundamentals? Do you find yourself in need of some comprehensive Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQs) to test your knowledge and solidify your understanding? Look no further! In this article, we have compiled a set of Computer Fundamentals MCQs with answers specifically designed to help you excel in your exam preparation.
Computer fundamentals form the backbone of our increasingly digital world. Whether it’s understanding the basic components of a computer system or delving into the intricacies of operating systems and programming languages, having a strong grasp on these fundamental concepts is crucial.
Computer Fundamentals MCQs with Answers: Set-I
1. The speed of a computer is calculated in ___.
Ans: MHz (Megahertz)
2. The level of ___ depends on the instructions and the type of machines being used.
3. The first computer-like machine was developed by a team from ___.
Ans: IBM and Harvard University
4. The invention of the ___ made smaller and less expensive computers possible.
5. The second generation computers are ___ and ___.
Ans: IBM1401, IBM70906.
6. The input and output for the fifth generation machines will be in the form of ___or ___.
Ans: Graphic images, speeches.
7. ___ Computers are the combination of both analogue and digital computer.
8. ___ computers can produce the result with more accuracy and at a faster rate.
9. The invention of ___ has changed the lifestyle and working environment.
10. Computers are used in the ___, ___ & ___.
Ans: Classrooms, libraries, museums
11. The different types of computers are ___, ___, ___ and ___.
Ans: Micro, mainframe, mini, super
12. Mainframes are the ___ of the computer family.
Ans: Second largest
13. The main memory is also called as ___ memory.
14. ___ memory is computer memory that requires power to maintain the stored information.
15. CPU consists of ___, ___ and ___.
Ans: Control Unit, Memory Unit, Arithmetic and Logic Unit
16. The number system can be categorized into two broad categories ___ and ___.
Ans: Non-positional, positional
17. In positional number system the value of each digit is defined by the ___ and its ___.
Ans: Symbol, position
18. The radix of the hexadecimal number system is ___.
19. The data in the computer memory are stored in ___ form.
20. The decimal equivalent of the number (111)2 is ___.
21. The octal equivalent of the number (34)10 is ___.
22. The hexadecimal equivalent of the number (36)10 is ___.
23. The method of converting a decimal number to binary is often called as the ___ method.
24. The decimal equivalent of the number (01011010)2 is ___.
25. Hexadecimal equivalent of the number (111)10 is ___.
26. The decimal equivalent of the number (34)8 is ___.
27. The decimal equivalent of the number (A.23)16 is ___.
28. To lock a computer the short cut used is ___ or ___.
Ans: Press Windows logo key + L or press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Click lock computer.
29. ___ groups display topics where the content of the help information matches the word or phrase entered.
Ans: Full-text search matches
30. Microsoft Knowledge Base group is based on a comparison between the search terms entered and keywords defined in the Help files. (True/False?)
31. SRAM stands for ___
Ans: Static Random Access Memory
32. EEPROM stands for ___
Ans: Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory
33. Indentations on CD RPM are called as ___ and ___
Ans: Pits, lands
34. Magnetic devices can be accessed either ___ or ___
Ans: Linearly, randomly
35. CD-RW stands for ___
Ans: Compact Disc-Rewritable
36. Optical media is ___ device.
37. The screen in CRT is coated with ___ dots
38. In LCD ___ light is passed through the crystals.
39. ___ converts the entire program into machine level at one shot.
40. Linker is an example of ___ category of software.
41. The speed of the computer is measured in ___.
42. ___ is measured against some predetermined standard for operations without failure.
43. ___ means flexible,
44. ___ is the main source of the problem in the previous versions of windows.
Ans: DLL hell
45. ___ layer protects key system components from poorly written programs.
Ans: Hardware abstraction layer
46. In a new/clean installation, the Windows XP has only the Recycle Bin installed there by default. (True/False?)
47. Delete an existing partition is used for a clean install on a drive that currently contains an earlier version of windows. (True/False?)
48. Windows XP includes a new antipiracy feature called ___.
Ans: Windows product activation
49. State whether the following statements are True or False
a. Activation is registration
b. Zip drive is included in the list of components of hardware fingerprint
50. Windows assigns ___ to each user account.
Ans: Security ID
51. Which is the simplified way of describing membership in a security group, a collection of user accounts?
Ans: Account type
52. Permissions and rights for group members are ___.
53. ___ is a suite of web-based services that help make using the internet and purchasing online easier and faster.
Ans: .NET password
54. Administrator can delete any account including the one which is currently logged on (True/False?)
55. ___ is controlled by checking or unchecking.
Ans: Mini toolbar
56. ___ are context-sensitive menus.
Ans: Smart tags
57. ___ refers to the view the user works when he/she works on a document.
Ans: Document views
58. ___ is used to view how pages would appear if published on the web as HTML documents.
Ans: Web layout
59. Borders and frames can be added to the picture using ___ groupings of format ribbon.
Ans: Picture styles
60. ___ are elements that appear on the top and bottom of the entire documents.
Ans: Header and footer
61. ___ refers to the document name.
62. To insert table click on ___ .
Ans: Insert tab → tables (subheading)
63. ___ section allows a user to specify the width of each column.
Ans: Autofit behaviour
64. ____ tells the table style to band alternate columns in different color.
Ans: Banded col
65. ___ are preformatted documents.
66. User can create their own custom templates. (True/false?)
67. To move one paragraph up we need to press ___.
Ans: Ctrl+Up arrow
68. ___ is an environment in which you write new and edit existing visual basic for applications code and procedures.
69. ___ is a file that contains the structure and tools for shaping the elements like the style and page layout of finished files.
70. ___ allows the user to observe changes directly on the document as that select different option from the gallery.
Ans: Live preview
71. ___ is the default reference used by excel.
Ans: Relative cell references
72. ___ is also a cell address.
Ans: Cell references
73. ___ is a group of cells lying adjacent to one another.
Ans: Contiguous cells
74. The cell is automatically selected when you type cell reference and hit enter in the name box. (True/ False?)
75. ___ is the shortcuts key to jumps the cursor to the bottom right-hand corner.
76. The function of ___ is to enable the user to change the chart type.
Ans: Change the chart type
77. ___ tab allows you to formats entries in each cell/row/col, etc
78. ___ effect cuts a line across the text.
79. ___ allows you to manually specify the contents of each page.
Ans: Page breaks
80. ___ dialogue box enables you to work with complex data.
Ans: Goto special dialogue box
81. ___ enables you to set font attributes that cause data to appear differently based on the values display in a cell.
Ans: Conditional formatting
82. ___ refers to the values upon which calculations will be performed.
83. Excel has more than ___ functions.
84. ___ Function automatically returns occupied numeric and alphanumeric values within a specified range.
85. ___ means specifying what to print from a worksheet.
Ans: Defining the print area
86. To remove the print area you need to click on ___
Ans: Page layout tab → page setup → clear print area icon
87. ___ is used to uniquely identify the system in the network.
Ans: IP address
88. ___ is a circular button located on the top left corner of the document and used to create new documents.
Ans: Office button
89. ___ is the small list of icons located immediately to the right of the office button.
Ans: Quick access toolbar
90. A ribbon can be hidden or modified by the user. (True/False?)
91. When the blank presentation is opened for the first time, by default ___ slide is opened.
92. ___ & ___ are the two options of deleting a slide.
Ans: Right-click option, menu option
93. To undo changes to the slide layout what should be done?
Ans: Simply click on Ctrl+Z
94. Adjusting tabs and indentation in PowerPoint is possible only via ___.
95. ___ enables a user to quickly sort/rearrange various slides.
Ans: Slide sorter
96. Which navigation aid enables a user to draw into a slide?
97. ___ is the default slide format for new slides.
Ans: Slide master
98. ___ are the animations like effects that occur in a slide show when transitions occur from one slide to the next.
99. ___ are applied to individual elements within the slides.
100. State whether the following statements are true or false
a. A user can apply various sounds with each transition
b. Transition speed for each slide is taken by default and the user cannot specify it.
c. User can specify how slide transitions occur
101. ___ Option in custom animation changes the fonts in a text box.
102. ___ are predesigned slides.
103. The maximum number of columns and rows that can be created using the insert table option is ___ and ___ respectively.
Ans: Ten, eight
104. ___option enables a user to select which pages to print.
Ans: Print range
105. In windows XP out of five levels of permission, ___ is most secure.
106. In order to audit access, every operating system has ___ object.
Ans: Audit object
107. IIS stands for ___
Ans: Internet information Services
108. Select ___ to activate Components Wizard.
Ans: Add/Remove Windows Components
109. Two important tasks performed by abstract overlay are ___ and ___
Ans: Indexing, discovery
You may also like to read more MCQ question on Fundamental of Computer and Information Technology
We hope that this set of Computer Fundamentals MCQs with answers has been helpful in testing your knowledge and understanding of the subject.
Whether you are a student preparing for exams or a professional seeking to enhance your IT skills, we believe that practicing multiple-choice questions is an effective way to reinforce concepts and identify areas for improvement.
If you found this article useful, we encourage you to share it on social media platforms so that others can also benefit from these resources.
Additionally, stay tuned for more sets of MCQs and other informative articles on computer fundamentals. Together, let’s continue to expand our knowledge and excel in the world of technology!